Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Fun and games with the gals

That's my 6 year old boy Jack looking at Cleverclogs (black) and Marian (grey). They've just had their food replenished and silly Padme is running around pecking the mesh separating her from the food .... not much room in that little brain - well, not enough to notice there's a door open beside her to let her into it! You can see her on the far side of the mesh.




We have had several escapes and a cat attack.

The two biggest hens can now jump/fly over their fence. They don't do it much though. And when they do they just stay near the fence and peck around the grass - I think! It is interesting how they like to all do the same thing at the same time - rest, or preen, or feed, or perch.
The cat was after a 'chook chew', as my husband called it. I heard a major upset out the back and ran out. The two big ones were out of their fenced area, and the small one was running around freaking out, making serious alarm calls. A very beautiful athletic black cat from the neighbourhood was in there. I jumped in and scared it out. I wish I'd turned the hose on it. We've had no repeat visits but now whenever we go out we lock them in their coop (which they try hard to avoid).
The children still visit them lots and lots and love feeding them scraps and pickings from the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment